Friday, April 24, 2009

I Heart NY

After L was born, I remember he was 3 weeks old, and we brought him to our favorite outdoor neighborhood bar, the Bohemian Beer Garden. M and I sat outside with our Spaten's and discussed moving to CNY. I distinctly remember saying I didn't see any other option than to move. We loved our neighborhood, but houses were (surprise) expensive. I really didnt' want to put L into daycare, and the schools weren't the greatest, unless we moved to LI. But I started having that post 9/11 panic again, and I thought it was time to hightail it out of there.

And it's been good here in suburbs, but I realllllly miss some things about NY. The bodega 50 feet from our front door, where I got my daily paper and coffee, and evening beers! Astoria Park with it's view of Manhattan. Manhattan itself, the restaurants, bars, the energy. Beautiful short springs, stifling hot summers, festive christmastime. There is seriously no better place to be than Christmas in NYC. And the first snowfall of the year, where everything came to a grinding halt. Going to St. Patrick's just to get Ash Wednesday ashes. Going to a show, a movie, Central Park to eat lunch during a workday. M also proposed to me in CP. After, the limo driver asked me where we wanted to eat, M said we could eat anywhere, and I chose pizza. The best pizza in the WORLD. Wandering around the Village and stopping for beers. A great job where you can expense meals in fantastic restaurants. Even as a kid I knew how lucky I was to be able to go to the city for field trips, to museums or shows. Shopping anytime you want, just got to be fast if it's during your lunch hour! Celebrity sightings. The subway....sometimes!! I will forever be affected by 9/11, I cried every day for over a month. Used to get nervous when I saw a plane in the sky. I rode the subway to work the next day, just to show them my life wasn't changed. It was like a movie, the way the streets were so empty, and full of shock. That city is a part of my life and it always will be.

No comments: