Friday, April 24, 2009

There's No Place Like Home, well one of them anyway

Last week I brought the kids down to visit my family on LI. Being able to just load them into the car and take off is another perk of being a SAHM! I grew up in a beautiful town, full of trees and old homes, a five minute drive from the LI Sound. I spent my childhood on the beach, and as a teenager I worked as a gate guard and attended lifeguard parties at night. It really was an idyllic setting. One that I would love to return to, if I had some millions to spare. Some of my friends do still live there, but they have to work full time, and have large mortgages for small homes. It's a very materialistic area, one that I would rather not have my children grow up in. So that is another reason why we moved to CNY. I want to instill good values while I can, in a way that I can control. I don't want them to ever feel second best because they drive a '78 Chevy Malibu, as opposed to a new BMW. I took the kids to the beach one morning, and we were the only ones there, throwing rocks and walking along. I looked out to Connecticut and promised myself that I would one day return to live by the water. I don't know where or when, but I will.

No comments: