Friday, May 22, 2009

Music that gets my ass moving, and keeps it moving


I had a great run today. Mike got off work early, and I was able to do my 6.5 mile loop around the neighborhood. Nice way to kick of the holiday weekend! As I was running, I thought about how much I loooove my ipod. I make playlists for my different runs, or just for listening to. I need music to run, but last year I did the Boilermaker sans ipod. And it was actually a good thing! There was so much going on around me, and hearing everyone cheer, that was all the music I needed. But for day to day, I need something to get me on the road, or to just block out Sesame Street while on the treadmill.
This is a list of my faves to run to, they all have a great beat that keeps me movin and groovin. It works when you don't have a son to run after you, as in the above photo. This was from last year's Adirondack Deer Run. It was early June, and seriously 90 degrees, and 90 percent humidity. I needed a little push from my boy at the end.

Peace Frog (the Doors) - their best song, makes me think of shooting pool with my friend A in college.
Hung Up (Madonna) - this is newer Madge, feels like you're running in a disco.
Sk8er Boi (Avril Lavigne) - not my favorite artist, but it tells a fun story, and it's LOUD.
Sabotage (Beastie Boys) - I envision myself in this video with the band, which is a throwback to 70's cop shows.
Blister in the Sun (Violent Femmes) - no explanation, love them.
Umbrella (Rihanna) - makes you want to dance on a table in a club. But I think those days are over....
Father of Mine (Everclear) - another LOUD song. I can relate to the whole Father/abandonment theme.
Always (Blink 182) - the BEST. I pound the pavement in time to the drum beat.
Just Like Heaven (The Cure) - reminds me of high school happiness.
Heaven Tonight (Hole) - yes, Courtney Love is a train wreck, but this whole album is fab.
My Life Would Suck Without You (Kelly Clarkson) - I'm not an American Idol fan, but ya gotta love Kelly.
Live Your Life (T.I. & Rihanna) - pretty quick beat for a rap song.
Heartbreaker (Mariah Carey and Jay Z) - no list is complete without some Mariah.
Candy (Iggy Pop and Kate Pierson) - great contrast in how his deep vocals mix with her beautiful voice.

Slow down with:
Breathe Me (Sia) - crazy lyrics, kicks you in the gut when you've been slacking on taking care of yourself.
We're Going To Be Friends (White Stripes) - cute song, not your ususal WS.
Cry Me A River (Justin Timberlake) - he gets his revenge against Britney. Plus, he's hot.
Ramble On (Led Zeppelin) - Great song from a great band.
Beautiful Girl (INXS) - love me some Michael Hutchence.
You are Beautiful (Christina Aguilera) - this works to slow down OR speed up. Has a slow start, huge finish.

I could go on for a while, but you get the gist.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Great taste Molly! I'm going to add Sabotage to my workout playlist right now. :)