Thursday, July 16, 2009

Chick Lit and Lit Lit




Do you have a book that has made an impression on you, one that you go back to and re-read over and over again? Right now my book club is reading Goose Girl, by Shannon Hale. The member that chose it said she reads it every summer. It was good, in a Harry Potter kind of way.

I did another one of those Facebook questionaires, you had to think of 15 books that have made an impact on you. After I listed them, I realized that I have chick lit in there, but the classics as well. I was one of those students who looked forward to the books we had to read for English class, two of my all time favorites are Catcher in the Rye and To Kill A Mockingbird. Oh, and My Antonia. And Gone With the Wind. And the Thorn Birds. And Rebecca. And any F. Scott Fitzgerald.

On the other hand, I love a good chick lit read. I think there is fluffy mindless chick lit, but I have favorite authors whose topics are substantial, and at times heavy. Everyone loves Bridget Jones Diary, and I heard they are making a third Bridget movie, about her journey to have a baby. But my favorite contemporary author is Marian Keyes. Her books tackle addiction, abuse, death, divorce, with characters that I wish were real. I met her at a book signing, and keep my signed copy of Sushi for Beginners next to my bed. Love love love her. Jennifer Weiner also hits you in the gut at times, as a new Mom I cried on the subway reading Little Earthquakes, and Goodnight Nobody really resonates with me as a stay at home mom who left her career for family.

For some books, I can remember the time of year, or place that I was when I read them, on a cruise, a couch at my in-laws, my car during a lunch break. I'm a terrible sleeper, which started when I was around eleven. I would go in the bathroom and read until I was tired enough to sleep. I'll admit it, I got into the whole Twilight craze, and crept out of bed at one in the morning to read New Moon in the hallway.

Then there are children's books.....but I think that's a topic that deserves a post all it's own.


4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love to read the classics too. I loved A Prayer For Owen Meany, A Tree Grows In Brooklyn, To Kill A Mockingbird. But in the summer I like to take something easy to the beach. This summer I'm reading those Sookie Stackhouse vampire stories by Charlaine Harris.

Unknown said...

So, sometimes I read your blogs and think, "Molly is me in another house"! I will read anything, but love chick lit and lit lit. I just finished The Pillars of the Earth, by Ken Follett...so good. If you like Thorn Birds, you should check out anything by Diana Gabaldon (I have all of them if you would like to borrow/trade).

Jennifer said...

You're a terrible sleeper!? Haha!

It occurs to me that you sent me that meme and I never did it!

Mommyof2girlz/StephD said...

Thanks for the follow, I am following your lovely blog as well :)