Monday, September 21, 2009

100th Post and a 10th Anniversary


On Friday it will be the end of Week Three of Getting Active......I'm just sayin'........

I stayed fairly busy this week, did mostly cross training - my bike ride, a few sessions of walking on inclines on the treadmill, and more toning exercises. I even did push ups! Hope you got some time in to be active this week.

Friday is also Mike and my 10th Wedding Anniversary. So in honor of my 100th post, I thought I'd share a bit about our wedding day.

Mike and I met in college, waiting on line at the movies to see Pretty Woman. He got dragged there by some girls in the dorm, I was with my friend G. She saw Mike, they went to high school together, so she introduced us.

We dated for about seven years before Mike proposed. My parents are divorced, so I had some issues/fears with marriage, and only planned on getting married once, so I really wanted to be sure it was right. Mike proposed in Central Park, on a Thursday afternoon in July, as people walked, roller bladed, and biked around us. We took a limo out to Long Island afterwards, picked up various family members and friends, and ended the night with everyone on the beach with champagne.

We got married a year later, on Long Island. It rained the morning of the wedding (which is apparently good luck), but by that afternoon, it was lovely out. The ceremony was at my church, the reception was at a venue right on the water. About 100 people attended, equal parts family and friends. We played reggae music during the cocktail hour, and I let Mike play a Beastie Boy's song after dinner. The first dance was to Stevie Wonder's "You are the Sunshine of My Life" during which my heeled sandal decided to come off my foot. 

Our wedding cake was dark chocolate with chocolate mousse.

After the reception a bunch of us walked down the boardwalk to a bar next to the hotel. Then the zipper on my wedding dress blew out, so my friend L duct taped it closed in the ladies room. Then we kept right on celebrating, it was a great night.

We headed to Cancun and Cozumel for our honeymoon, where we were hit by a hurricane towards the end of our stay. We didn't even mind.

I can't believe it's been ten years, but then I can.

We've got two great kids, and a house we love.

Mike has less hair, and we're both a few pounds heavier.

But I'm excited to see what the next ten years has in store for us....and the next ten....and the next ten....and....you get the idea....

8 comments:

tanya said...

Beautiful story. I am so happy for you and congrats too on your half marathon. It's a wonderful feeling and a great achievement isn't it?
10 years - phew. I bet it flew by. Happy Anniversary.

Susan Fobes said...

You look beautiful in that picture! Congratulations on 10 years and enjoy the year to follow...

amanda said...

Loved reading your wedding story!
lol at the duct tape!

Tara said...

LOL...duct tape, that's genius! Happy Anniversary! I love hearing about other peoples lifes, which is probably why I'm such a great blogger. I'm just flat out nosy. Thank you for a great love story. I waited almost 7 years to marry my husband as well. He proposed 7 months into our relationship and we still waited. We had both been divorced and I knew that I did not want to go through that again. When the time was right...we both knew it. Congrats on your beautiful family and marriage! Now go celebrate and have a wonderful time this weekend.

Janie B said...

Congratulations! I hope you have many more happy years together.

B.o.B. said...

Happy Anniversary! You guys give me hope.

Thanks for the support on my blog about my marathon deferrment. I appreciate it more than you know!

HautePinkCloset said...

Happy Anniversary!!! I hope you guys have a romantic and fun filled weekend. Your wedding photo is beautiful great wedding story too.

HautePinkCloset said...

Btw, I have an Award for you on my blog! Hope you are having a great weekend!