Monday, September 28, 2009

ouch


You know when you get all motivated and gung ho to do something, and then it goes south? Today I got on the treadmill for a run, and one mile into it, my left foot started acting up. My arch was aching, and I got that all too familiar pulling sensation all the way up to my big toe. So I stopped, re laced my running shoe and got going again. Then I feel a burning on my right shin, like a shin splint. And then, my left hamstring joined the party and started to ache as well. After a lousy 1.5 miles I gave up, got off, and started doing some stretches, then lunges, sit ups etc. Got back on, and barely made it another mile before I called it quits. I sat on the floor with an ice pack balanced on one shin, then sat on another pack, then shoved another one under my arch. Now that I think of it, that would have been a great photo.


Then I had an "A HA!" moment.....all these aches have to be from all of the walking I did over the weekend, in the wrong shoes. I wore my running shoes or Birkenstocks as much as I could, but I did my fair share of walking in my Frye Cowboy Boots. I love those things, but only wear them in the cooler months. This was the first time I wore them this fall, so that's got to be it.

This is really annoying me. Now that I finished my half marathon, I wanted to get back into running shorter distances every day, instead of a few times a week of long distances. Now I'm afraid to do anything for a few days so I don't make it worse, which is the worst when I'm raring to go. I dug out my lucky socks, which I wear for long runs, and for all my races. They are by Feetures, and I feel like they suck my arch in and give it more support. I'll see what happens after I wear them for a couple of days along with my Birkenstocks. Now that will be a cute look at the preschool drop off......

8 comments:

Tara said...

Oh geez; I hope everything is alright! Take care of those aches and pains. You don't need new running shoes do you? I always start to feel like my body is breaking down when I need new shoes!

Ronnie said...

You could hang out with my dad!! He's always putting socks on with his birks!

Lol, you're talking about your pitiful 1.5 miles and I'm thinking wow....1.5 miles...

Amo said...

Wow! You are so motivated! I wish I loved to run or jog or walk or lift weights or sports - anything exercise-y really. But, I don't. I find inspiration in you, though. I go through spurts where I will work out and then I quit for longer periods of time. It's an endless cycle! I hope your legs and feet start to heal soon.

Susan Fobes said...

Ah, you could start a new fashion trend. Just throw a little attitude in with the walk in your birks and socks and you got it! (By the way, I'm a closet sock and birk wearer too, but they are so comfortable, I forgot to change before venturing out. Oh, well :)

Janie B said...

Hope you heal quickly and can get back on track.

Theta Mom said...

You're right about the whole shoe thing. You really need the perfect fit, I've been down that road before.

SPEAKING FROM THE CRIB said...

hey i am impressed with any length of running at all! found you from over at raisingmy4sons place and now a new follower

Amy said...

My massage therapist, a goddess sent from heaven just for me, told me to keep a hard ball -- like a lacrosse ball -- under my computer desk and every time I sit down there, massage that ball under my bad foot. Don't keep going when you have pain, put heat on it. Trust me. I didn't heed that advice and wound up in a boot for over 8 weeks.