Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Up for a Post Race Run? You Bet!




Just got back from a six mile run, my first since Sunday's Half Marathon. I wasn't sure when I was going to fit one in, D has been staying with us for the past couple of days while she has another round of chemo. Mike was working from home this afternoon, and since Luke is at school and Eliza is napping, he said if I was up for it I could go, so I did!

This is the best running weather, it's cool at night but warm in the day, and the leaves have already started changing. I put Depeche Mode's Violator on my ipod, I forgot what a great running cd that is, especially Halo and Policy of Truth. The run felt really good, I run much faster when it's for a shorter distance, I managed to do the six in under an hour. Although for all the bitching I do about treadmill running, there's something to be said for the comfort of it. I have a place for my water, gatorade, tissues, chapstick, and of course, remote control for the tv (can you say high maintenance). I still haven't gotten a fuel belt, so I really miss my water when I'm running outside. Speaking of fuel, I forgot to mention a great giveaway Heather at Run Faster Mommy is having, "Be Your Own Nutrition Experiment" a huge supply of various gels to test out on your runs.

I also forgot to mention that our Smoothie Challenge ended over the weekend. I'm going to keep it up, I love how the smoothie hydrates me first thing in the morning, I feel like I'm ahead of the game for the rest of the day, after sucking down all those fruits and greens. I made one for D this morning, I'm hoping she keeps it as part of her routine. We celebrated her birthday while she was here, so we managed to have some fun. She's wearing a bandanna to cover her hair loss, and once Eliza saw it, she dug out a pirate bandanna and had us put it on her head, so she could be just like Grandma. We got a laugh out of that one. We had pizza and cake and ice cream, and J brought over some Raspberry Truffle frozen yogurt. Low fat, but doesn't taste low fat. Trust me.

7 comments:

Tara said...

Mmmmmm....love running in fall. My fave season to run. Is D your mom? I hope everything isgoing well with her.

Amo said...

You like Depeche Mode, too? They are my favorite band of the eighties. Always have been. "Violator" is a great album. Great taste! I've never tried running to them (probably because I rarely run), but I'll have to do that next time!

HeartsMakeFamilies said...

I am totally impressed that you were able to run that. I think I'd pass out right away. Way to go. I'm following you now. Found you on Moms Bloggers. Tami

yonca said...

I love frozen yogurt. Rasberry truffle?
Mmm..I gotta try that :)

Leslie @ A Blonde Ambition said...

Congrats on making the commitment to run, that is amazing! I'm a Fro-Yo fan and raspberry truffle sounds SO good!

HautePinkCloset said...

I am so impressed by your drive to run. The more I read your posts the more encouraged I become to keep with my exercising. I would love to graduate to running, that would definitely save money on the gym membership...;)

Susan Fobes said...

response to your comment:) So glad you liked the picture. It is actually from Microsoft clip art site and when I saw it, I couldn't take my eyes off it...
It's funny that the realization that exercise can make you feel better doesn't set in when you're younger, at least not for me-I avoided it because I wasn't athletic and I had a good metabolism-and it caught up with me.

I am not a runner (only run if someone's chasing me or there is a bug), so I really admire what you have done. I am hoping that if enough of us talk about how we feel after exercise, it will surely rub off on others. And your right-you just have to get up and do it (in my case exercising and writing!)