Monday, June 21, 2010

I'm Going Places

This weekend was another busy couple of days, including our first BBQ of the season, a celebratory lunch, and a 13 mile run.  Headed out around seven a.m. Saturday with my sis in law Jeannine, and friend Norine.  Wanted to get out before the heat and humidity hit hard, it was 75 degrees when we took off from my house.  We settled right into a ten minute pace, and ran the 10k Turkey Trot loop, then headed into town.  At the seven mile mark, our friend Heather came running along towards us, she was doing a 9 mile loop in the opposite direction, and we convinced her to join us. 

Heather had lent me a spare fuel belt, and I tested it out on this run, I should have used all four bottles, but I had one of water, and one of nuun.  At mile 8 I sucked down a GU, then we were off again, charging up a hill and back into my neighborhood.  I started to get tired at about 11.5 miles.  It was after nine o'clock at that point, and although it was getting warm, I got goosebumps, so I slowed down a bit.  I thought for a split second about stopping.  I realize I have some work to do regarding my mental toughness, when a run starts to get difficult.  Instead of giving in to it, I shook the thought out of my head and kept going, and didn't stop until G-Unit read 13 miles.  Overall, it was a good run, the photo above is from the route.

MCM Mama passed the "I'm Going Places" award to me, I'm supposed to tell you where I'll be in ten years, then pass it along to ten bloggers.  In ten years I will be the mother of two teenagers, one of them will probably have his learners permit so I'll finally have someone else to send to the store if I need to.  I will have celebrated over 20 years of marriage.  I'll be a marathon finisher, taken a stab at trail running, and will be back to playing tennis on a regular basis.  I hope to be happily employed, with 8 years left on my mortgage, and have shown my kids some of the world around us.

I pass this along to:
Katie at Legally Fit
AJH at Age Groups Rock
Suzy at Running On My Time
Julie at Julie's Running Blog
Blue Violet at Nut in a Nutshell
J at Morning Runner
Nicki at Thoughts, Art and Friends
Alyssa at Bloggin 2 Noggin
Susan at Susan's Family Formula
Amo at Where a Woman Shakes Her Tablecloth

16 comments:

misszippy said...

We all tend to be a bit type-A when it comes to the training department, huh? Learning when to say when is a real art.

Running Through Phoenix said...

What a beautiful lake. All we have around here is buildings and gravelly canals.

MCM Mama said...

Y'know I just realized that in 10 years we'll celebrate our 25th. I have no idea why that didn't come to mind when I was writing my post LOL.

Good job finishing the long hot run!

Susan Fobes said...

I just came by for your latest post... Ten years huh? Hmm, I'll have to think about this one. Thanks Molly!

Iron Mike said...

It's a shame that goose bumps aren't strictly limited to good moments.

Worst case, you could have chilled in that beautiful lake.

ajh said...

I need to work on mental toughness. I give up too easily.
Good for you.

Anne said...

Great attitude sticking it out!!

I'm liking your 10 year vision :)

Jill said...

Sounds like a lovely life 10-years from now :). I think the mental games we play are equally as challenging as the physical party. Great job sticking with it, that's what it's all about!!

Johann said...

That’s a beautiful picture! Hot runs can get to me. It happens suddenly…from feeling good to feeling bad in a few seconds. That is tough to fight mentally. You did great.

Lucas R. Tucker said...

looks like you have a beautiful place to run, beats my city (town) streets even on a bad day.

Unknown said...

That picture is amazing! You know... running is sometimes more mental than physical. You aren't alone in that regard! :)

Julie said...

Hi Molly,
That picture could be hanging on my wall! Absolutely gorgeous! Nice job on your 13 mile run...I usually get tired at mile 11 too:(

I like your life in 10 years:) Cheers to becoming a marathoner and trail runner!

Thanks for the tag! I need to get thinking:)

Big Daddy Diesel said...

half mary distance and bbq, life doesnt get any better then that, well I will take a 50 mile bike ride and then a bbq, you can enjoy the run, HEY, if we find a swimmer, we can do a relay at a Half Ironman

J said...

I have gotten goosebumps on long runs too...it is the weirdest feeling. Do you know what it means/
Thanks for the award! In ten years I don't know where I will be!

Suzy said...

Thanks for the award! I'll post about it tomorrow. But, it sounds like we are in the same phase of life right now...not sure how I'll handle having two teens in ten years though.

Anonymous said...

Hi Molly! Thanks so much for the award :) I've been off the radar and am just catching up on blog reading so I'm a little late to the game. Anyway, how exciting that you will be the mother to two teenagers in ten years! Time is flying lately; it will be here before you know it!

You are doing awesome with your training. Rock on! Maybe I'll see you at the boliermaker this weekend... you know, in the sea of 12,000+ people? :) I'll be wearing a white hat and hot orange shirt.