Monday, June 7, 2010

My Version of an Energy Bar


This post is long overdue. I don't often buy energy bars, I am more of a smoothie person, but they're good to have around when you're starving and need something quick, or if you're traveling. I decided to take a stab at making my own, mostly for Mike to take to work, he drives hundreds of miles every week, and I thought it would be a healthy, portable snack for him to have in the car.

So here it is, a bar full of all my favorite things: oats, dried cherries, almonds, mini semi-sweet chocolate chips, and Amazing Grass. They're easy to make, I've been keeping them in the fridge, but I'm sure they would freeze well individually wrapped.

Ingredients:

3/4 cup of organic, natural, crunchy peanut butter
2/3 cup of honey
1 1/4 cup oats
1 cup krispy rice cereal
1 cup dried cherries (I put them in whole, but you can chop them up)
1/2 cup raw almonds (again, I put them in whole)
2 scoops of Amazing Grass Superfood, Berry Flavor
1/3 cup semi-sweet mini chocolate chips
non-stick spray
8 x 8 brownie pan

1. mix the peanut butter and honey together in a medium size pot, on medium heat. Stir until melted, about five minutes. Make sure the peanuts don't brown too much, or burn. Then mix in the Amazing Grass until well blended.
2. take off heat, and stir in oats and rice cereal. Then mix in the cherries, almonds, and chips.
3. spray the brownie pan with non-stick spray, pour the mix in, and press down hard with either your fingers or a spatula, so that it's well packed, and even on top.
4. Put into the fridge for at least three hours to set. Cut with a serrated knife and enjoy!

22 comments:

gmontalvo13 said...

wow your energy bar looks delicious!

Iron Mike said...

That looks outstanding! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

yonca said...

What a great healthy snack recipe to try! Looks really delish!

Julie said...

Hi Molly,
I am totally making this:) Thanks for the recipe!

Anonymous said...

Any advice on how well they keep once non-refrigerated? Or how long they keep in general?

I am toying around with making some of my own... trying to emulate a Larabar.

mudmama said...

yummers

Tortuga_Runner said...

Thanks for the new recipe. I used to make my own for my nieces water polo tournaments, but stopped when they stopped playing. I am inspired by your rice crispy addition and will be making a mess of my kitchen soon. Yay, super excited to do something fun. Thanks again!

Sarah said...

These look delicious! But one question - what's Amazing Grass Superfood?

Unknown said...

they look awesome Molly! Same Q as Sarah ... Amazing grass (hmmm... I got a guess but probably not the same thing (-:)

Mrs. M said...

Healthy and delicious - can't beat that!! :)

Liz Mays said...

I'll bet it tastes WAY better than the ones in the stores!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

I am sooo trying these, I am on a make my own nutrition kick lately, thanks for sharing


And thanks for the kind comment on todays post.

Mark said...

yum! I made an attempt at my own energy bars last year and wasn't overly pleased with the final product. They weren't bad, but they were pretty high cal and a little pricey. I might have to give these a shot!

Jill said...

Ok, I look like dumbo asking, but what's Amazing Grass??? I'll venture over to Whole Foods and ask around :). They do look yummy!!! Thanks!

Amo said...

Those sound delicious! I love all the fruit in them!

RunToTheFinish said...

you know I used to live on them, then just sort of stopped. Now I still really like Heart Thrive which is all natural and I think about making my own, but generally I'm very lazy and just pour cereal fruit and pb in a bowl :)

Rad Runner said...

Wow these look insanely delish! I wish you were my neighbor, who brought some over!

Sarah said...

YUM!! Those look delish!!

fancy nancy said...

Those look so yummy! Thanks for the recipe! I love Amazing Grass and I just started making smoothies for my daughter with the kids one. She a picky eater a little but she sucks it down!

Christina said...

Oh how awesome!! I love that you added the amazing grass! I'm definitely w/ you - I'm not a big bar eater. I've never made my own either, but yours look great! Thank you so much for sharing them w/ Friday Firsts too!

Jenn@slim-shoppin said...

That does sound good. How many do you get out of that recipe, I wanted to figure out the calories...

Anonymous said...

Sounds good! I've not heard of Amazing grass before, I'll have to check it out.