Monday, June 14, 2010

What I'll Run for.....and the winners....

I've always had running a marathon on my To Do List.  The seed was planted in my brain when I was a kid and my Dad would take us to watch the NYC Marathon in his Brooklyn neighborhood.  He ran NYC, and was also a Triathlete, so I just assumed I would do one or the other when I was older.  My kids are the age now where training is more doable, and since I have this feeling that I'm going to be going to back to work sooner than later, this year is the year to do it.

Once I decided to run, I then thought about what I would run for.  I want to run for myself, but I also want to put some kind of meaning to my first marathon.  I checked out a bunch of races, but I kept getting pulled back to the MVP Marathon in Rochester, NY.  I ran the half marathon last year, and loved the course, and I lived there for 5 years so it was nice to have that sense of being in my old 'hood.  When I saw the date of it, September 12, I knew I found it, and what I would run for.
I was living in NYC on September 11, I wrote a post about it last year around the anniversary of it.  It has affected me to this day.  I'm going to run as a reminder of all that what was lost that day, and it will be a big F#*% You to those who tried to break us all down.  I have been thinking of what kind of shirt I'll wear for it, and Zoe made one up the other day that I think I'm going to have to buy! 

Okay, onto the winners of the Drymax socks give away.....thanks to everyone who entered!  I had three drawings, one for each sock size, and used random.org to pick the winners:

Size Small: Tam at Borrachas Sin Fronteras
Size Medium: Tricia at Endurace Isn't Only Physical
Size Large: Tim from 26.2 Quest

Email me your deets and I'll get your socks right out to you!!

21 comments:

Teamarcia said...

Sounds like a great marathon choice and I love your motivation for doing it.
Best of luck with the training.
Congrats to the winners!

misszippy said...

Great way to choose your day. I love that it will have meaning (beyond just running a marathon) for you.

J said...

Every year since that marathon/half marathon is right near 9/11 i always think about that! Next year in 2011 it will be on 9/11 I think!! i really hope you enjoy the Rochester marathon - I have a few friends who have run it and liked it. Very scenic!

Tim Wilson said...

Sounds like a good reason/meaning to run for. I have never really thought of running one "for" a specific cause or reason until my daughter's XC coach decided to run Chicago for a runner he had on his team the past three years passed of cancer this past year.

Thanks for the contest - can't believe I won. I don't ever seem to win anything I enter for :)

Lisa said...

Congrats on committing to a marathon! Can't wait to follow you through your training!

(btw, are you thinking of the ice cream shirt or the other one?!)

Carly said...

Congrats on deciding to do a marathon! That is awesome!

Rad Runner said...

Thats an awesome reason to ruN! You will be running your first full a month before I run my first full, go US!

Iron Mike said...

Plenty of time to get ready for the race.

And I read your 9/11 post, thanks for sharing.

Black Knight said...

I agree, you took the right decision. Now you have to plan an appropriate program. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

Very inspiring post, Molly. I love your reasoning.

yonca said...

Good luck! Sounds like a great reason to run.Have you changed the look? I think only the colors. Something is different though. Isn't it?

Mark said...

Awesome! Now you've got something very specific to focus on. Let the hard core summer training begin!

Jill said...

Training will be so much more meaningful now that you have a marathon picked out, sounds like the perfect one for you!!

Zoë said...

Excellent reason to run that marathon, and I think it'll feel amazing for you too.
(Let me know if you want to use a different type of shirt, and I'll redesign it for you!)

ajh said...

I didn't realize this was going to be your first marathon. You will love it.

Julie said...

Hi Molly,
You totally made the right choice and found the perfect race for you:) You are just a few weeks ahead of me with your training. I am so excited that we are both training for a marathon together:)

Congrats to the winners!

Sarah said...

Sounds like a perfect race choice! I have thought about running that half.

Mark said...

MMmmHmmm, at least one BOY won!

The MVP Rochester Marathon is a great course. I will be running Rev3 Cedar Point that day (ironman,) otherwise I would be there!

RunToTheFinish said...

I can't imagine having been in NYC at that time, but I do know what it feels like to run a race for a reason and that's a darn good one

Unknown said...

Perfect reason to run! :)

H Love said...

very exciting about the marathon. I am behing you and your cause all the way! When will the training begin??