Sunday, July 11, 2010

Boilermaker...Year Four

This is how the past four years of running the Boilermaker have gone:

2007....1:39:39 (scary hot and humid)
2008....1:38:39 (weird, exactly one minute less)
2009....1:37:05 (could have done better)
2010....1:33:39....

Yup! Finally, a decent PR!

Today was a really great race, everyone I know did really well. 

We were up and on the road by six a.m., since we had my brother in law driving, he dropped us off right at the start, with plenty o' time to hit the porta potties.  It was really crowded, from what the announcer said, over 13,000 people registered, which made this year one of the largest 15k's in the country.  The weather was decent though, some clouds, warm, but not humid at all, and at times we felt a breeze.  I wasn't nervous at all, and I kept my eye out for J, Katie, and Nicki, but it was hard to look in that sea of people.

Gun went off, took about ten minutes just to get to the start line, but then we were moving, if you can call it that.  Lots of dodging and weaving around people, we said a quick hello to a fellow Lake Effect Group runner, then everyone was just off.  We all had a goal in mind, and had to try and do it.  My goal was to do under 1:35.  After mile one I started running on the grass alongside the road just to get my pace up, and barely noticed the bands and dancers and crowds alongside the course.  I kept my eye on G-Unit, didn't want to go over a ten minute mile, at this point I was about a 9:30.  Kept this up until mile 3, when I saw my friend C, who ran Boston for the first time this year, and whose training plan I'm following for Rochester.  We chatted a bit about our time goals, and how we might have to adjust them based on how many people were out there running.

Around mile four was the first hill, and let me tell you, the first time I ran this, I was scared of the hills.  This year, every single hill was just a blip on the radar to me, I've been doing so much training on inclines these past six months, that I sailed up and over every one today.   Took a gel at mile five, and kept cruising along, my plan was to kick it up at mile seven, as it was I kept going back and forth between 9:00 and 10:20 minute miles. 

Mile seven came and went, and it was almost mile eight.  I wanted to try and pick it up, and came to a corner near a bunch of warehouses, where the first year I ran this, I got a little loopy in the head because of the heat, so I always have flashbacks to how lousy I felt that year.  I got nervous and just kept steady, saw the Mile Nine sign, and next thing I knew, I was done.

Then it was time for beer, which wasn't doing it for me, so I made due with a snow cone.  Then we took photos of us in our running skirts, Jeannine and I matched in our camo skirts (on sale to boot!).  Looking back at my race, I played it safe again, but I'm testing the waters.  I'm proud of myself for running strong, not puking or letting my head get to me, and still finishing faster than last year. 

Now I can look forward to the next race on the calendar......Rochester Marathon on September 12. 

Gulp.

41 comments:

Liz Mays said...

You did superbly, in my opinion! GREAT job!

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

Great job!

Tricia said...

awesome job!

Julie said...

Hi Molly,
You are a freaking rock star! Way to get your PR! I am so proud of you:) You look fantastic and so happy! You are going to do so well at your upcoming marathon!

Middle Name Marie said...

Great Job!!! PR's are so exciting! Looks like you had a great time. I think "not letting your head get to you" is what it is all about. Stick with that and your marathon will go great!

abbi said...

Great job Molly!!!

misszippy said...

HUGE PR! Way to go! And love the skirt--nothing like doing it in style.

Allie said...

Way to go, that is a big PR! You rocked it!
PS Love your skirt, I have that one in pink. ;)

Unknown said...

Nice job Molly!! lookin good momma!!

ajh said...

Great job! I still haven't picked a marathon. Have fun with the rest of your training.

Julie said...

Congrats on the great run! Cute skirts! :)

Johann said...

Well done! Great PR! Happiness all-round!

Carly said...

Sounds like you had a great run! Awesome job!

Brittney said...

Congratulations on the PR! Way to keep your head in the game :)

Teamarcia said...

Nicely done! Congrats on a big PR!

Lucas R. Tucker said...

Awesome new PR!

Unknown said...

Congrats on the run! I don't do running-walking, yes. lol

Michelle said...

Great job Molly! Congrats on the PR!!

Anonymous said...

Awesome job Molly! That's a fantastic PR. I was on the lookout for you too; there were soooo many people! Super fun though :)

Nicki said...

Fantastic race, Molly!! I am still writing my recap. It was truly an amazing time and I kept an eye out for you, also. Didn't see you but kept looking.

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Congrats on the PR!!!

yonca said...

Congrats Molly..Great job! Lol. you're tall! How tall are you?

The Diva on a Diet said...

HUGE congrats on improving your time, Molly! That's wonderful! And in this wicked heat too ... I'm impressed. You go, girl!!!!

mommaof3ontherun said...

That is wonderful!!!!

Lucas R. Tucker said...

Awesome new PR Molly!!

J said...

Congratulations on the PR!! IT was such a great day with perfect weather! its funny how those hills at mile 4 and mile 6 don't seem so bad after you run the race a few times. I wish we had seen each other! Maybe next year!

Oh and I am sore today...those hills and downhills did a number on my quads!

NY Wolve said...

Familiarity with hills is really reassuring. It doesn't make them any smaller, but I always find that I know they will end. Good luck on the marathon! Sept. will be here soon. Not soon enough, though, for me.

Darlene said...

Great job!!!

Rad Runner said...

Fabulous job! you look awesome- LOVE THE OUTFIT!

Iron Mike said...

Way to push through Mile 8 for a well deserved PR. Great job.

Anonymous said...

Woo hoo! Awesome job! I'm glad the prep paid off and the hills were a breeze.

Tortuga_Runner said...

Woo hoo great job on the PR!

Suzy said...

Congratulations on the PR!! It sounds like a great race.

Unknown said...

Congrats on a huge PR! And I love the skirts! They are awesome!

Xenia said...

Molly! I think about how I need to come drop by your blog all the time... and then never get around to it... and then when I do I am constantly impressed. You set your goals and always do such an amazing job striving to meet them - you're awesome, Girl! Keep it up!

Sarah said...

Congrats on a great job!! I am only an hour or 2 away from this race and hope to do it next year. LOVE that running skirt. :)

Mrs. M said...

A new PR?? That is awesome!! Sounds like a very fun race with lots of fellow runners - way to go!!

Felice Devine said...

Yay! Congrats on the big PR -- that's terrific!

Erin Conley said...

That's terrific! I knew you'd do a great job, and in this awful Upstate NY weather, too. Congrats!

RunToTheFinish said...

playing it safe is still my big issue too, but hello look at that consistent yearly progress!!

Lisa said...

I'm SO sorry I haven't stopped by in a while. It has not been intentional, just a TON going on here.

Congrats on the awesome PR! Looks like you had a great time at the race; definitely a great outcome! I've heard great things about this race, maybe I'll get there some year!