Friday, July 9, 2010

Non numeric five for Friday

The temps have been in the 90's all week, with high humidity.  We lost power twice, which is nuts, in the five years we've lived here we only lost power two other times.  With the Boilermaker coming up on Sunday, I thought I should try and acclimate to the temps in case we have nastiness race day, so I went out into the soupy heat on Tuesday for a five mile run.  It wasn't the greatest idea, I left at three o'clock, 93 degrees.  Tried to stay in the shade as much as possible, but by mile 2 my water was almost all gone, and I had to walk for a minute.  By 3.5 I decided this was stupid, so I went home to bang out the rest on the treadmill.  Experiment over. 

I'm really excited for the Boilermaker on Sunday.  I have a goal in mind, but I'm going to be flexible about it, it will depend on the heat, humidity, and crowds, there are over 13,000 people registered for it.  I had a conversation with my friend Heather, as well as Mike about my running.  They both think that I'm holding myself back, that I could run faster if I wanted to.  I do run faster on the treadmill, because lately my outside runs have been about building mileage, so I don't push my pace.  I formulated a plan, so we'll see what happens.

I have two giveaways coming up.....one is of a fitness nature, the other is for kids.....if you have one. 

Now the meat thing......I realize that I eat meat once a day.  As for for not eating it, I'm going to just take baby steps.  If we have pasta Mike usually grills some sausage or chicken to go with it, so he can still do that for himself, I'll just pass it up.  I'm also looking at my dairy consumption, which I've felt uneasy about for a while too.  I use Coffe Mate in my coffee, so I'm going to switch to either soy or rice milk.  I bought some Earth Balance spread to replace my butter, and it's actually really good.  Mike gave it a thumbs up, and Butter is one of his favorite things in life (other than me).   I love love love cheese, that's going to be harder to replace, so I'm going to wait on that one.

Speaking of cheese, I can't get enough of fresh mozzarella, tomato and basil.  I don't know what my Italian sister in law does to her salad, I use the same ingredients as her and I can never get it to taste the same.   Yesterday I broiled the tomatoes with some ground pepper and kosher salt and layered it with the basil and cheese on a baguette.  So good that I had it again today....for breakfast.

22 comments:

abbi said...

fresh mozzarella, tomato and basil is such a good combination...yummy! Good luck at the race...hope it's cools off a bit for it!!

Iron Mike said...

That looks like an outstanding breakfast.

Enjoy the race.
Push yourself. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Julie said...

Hi Molly,
When and the hell is it going to cool down? Yuck, it has been pretty hot here too! Good luck this weekend with your race:) Looking forward to your race report!

Lindsay said...

OH yum those tomatoes look so yummy!!! I am ready for the heat wave to cool down. . . .

Lucas R. Tucker said...

Your food always amazes me!! I think I will try something fancy tonight!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Good luck on Sunday, I hope it cools down for you, stay hydrated.

Teamarcia said...

gosh Boilermaker time again already? time flies! Good luck but be careful out there in the heat. The tomato/mozz/basil looks divine--I served it on skewers at Thing 1's party--so good!

Erin Conley said...

Good luck in your race! No matter what the weather is like, I'm sure that you'll do a great job! Enjoy!

Anne said...

Good luck with that race...I really hope it's not too hot and humid...but, if it is, just take it easy and enjoy being able to run!

Yeah, I'm not going to become a vegetarian any time soon...but, I do try to avoid dairy as much as possible (though I can't help having pizza once in a while)!

Tara said...

Yay! Good for you. I use Earth Balance too, I think for a soy based product it's pretty good. Baby steps right?

One of my favorite pizzas is a margherita (sp?) with fresh basil, mozzarella, and tomatoes on a fresh wheat crust. OMG, I could eat it every day!

Good luck Friday. Can't wait to hear how you did. PR girlie!

J said...

Ok you need to go for it on Sunday!! Just run and have fun and run fast!! Just let the excitement carry you.

I actually think the weather is going to be ok for the race, a little hot in the final miles but its always that way!! I suggest starting right where I said I would be standing. Its just a nice place to start, not too far back but not up close. Hopefully I will see you there!!

Susan Fobes said...

Nothing wrong with tomatoes for breakfast. LOL! Good luck with the weather-we are hoping for rain Saturday.

BTW- come partake in my giveaway if you get a chance.

Amo said...

When I used to drink coffee, I used Silk's soy creamer in my coffee. It is very good if you want to try it!

Unknown said...

13,000! Man, I thought running with 2500 this weekend was going to be a lot.

Have fun at the Boilermaker. I certainly hope Mother Nature chills a bit for you.

Johann said...

Good luck with the race! Take it easy in the heat. I don't go a day without meat or cheese. Just love it.

Jenn@slim-shoppin said...

It's blazing hot here too! I'm too chicken to venture outside and run, so I've been sticking to my elliptical in my air conditioned house!

Unknown said...

Good Luck at the BoilerMaker!!! It will be a muggy one again!! :)

ajh said...

Have fun at the BoilerMaker. I always thought that one sounded great!

Running Through Phoenix said...

I was in NY last week (New Rochelle and Beacon/Mahopac) and experienced the cool followed by the HOT --got to run in both. Those tomatoes look amazing!!

Thomas Tan said...

I recommend if you must run when it's hot outside that you run on the trails. It is generally much cooler there, especially if the trail is shaded by trees.

Black Knight said...

Fresh mozzarella, tomato and basil are perfect on pizza, a real italian dish. If one day you will come here you can taste this wonderful food cooked in the italian way even if I am sure that your in-law is a great cook.
Good luck at the BoilerMaker.

Mrs. M said...

I love love love tomato basil and mozzarella pizza! I am not longer a meat eater and I am trying to avoid all dairy and eggs, so no cheese for me in the foreseeable future, darn it! :)