Sunday, February 27, 2011

The ice won't break, right?

We're back home after a few much needed days in the Adirondacks.  It seems winter is here to stay, so we made the most of it, and spent some time outside.  I didn't run at all, but I took Frankie on a few walks, he went nuts sniffing out all the animal scents in the snow.  I took him to the vet this week, and the dog that was supposed to be 20 pounds max, is already 41 pounds. And still growing.




Mike and I were able to go out on the snowmobiles once by ourselves, it was really pretty out, and we went out onto the lake, and even though I know it's frozen solid, I still get a little nervous, but it's so much fun.

Then we took the kids out onto the lake, they weren't scared at all.






There was a bonfire and fireworks in town on Saturday night, so before that, we went out for pizza and wings, as well as adult beverages.  Mike ordered peanut butter wings, which sounds weird, but they're really good.  My brother in law described it perfectly, it's like they're coated in a Thai peanut sauce.  Reaaaly good.

I hit the bathroom before heading out to the fireworks.  Total non-sequitur, but whenever I use a public bathroom and I see a toilet plunger next to the toilet, to me that means the toilet isn't trust worthy, and I'm going to flood it.  I did that once at work, I was the first one in the office, and I flooded the toilet so badly that I had to run to the lobby and get the security guard to come and help me.  So now I have a fear of faulty toilets.

Anyway.  The great thing about fireworks in the winter, is that you don't have to wait until nine o'clock for the sun to go down. They started at seven, which meant the kids got to bed at a decent hour.  It was pretty cool to watch them over the bonfire.







 Winter break is o-ver.  Tomorrow, back to business. : )

22 comments:

Lisa said...

How much fun does your trip look? It's nice to see someone embracing the "here to stay" winter rather than continue to wish it away. I am ready for spring and summer, but with all the snow and ice this winter - it has been really beautiful! Never attended winter fireworks, but there do seem like a lot of pluses (i.e. no mosquitos). Looks fun!

ajh said...

Sounds like a good time!

Christina said...

Faulty bathrooms... oh my!
My best friend and I have a fear of that too. In fact, sometimes she would text me (we live in different countries) and tell me about her public restroom phobias.

Anonymous said...

That snow is unbelievable for a Florida girl. Sounds like a great time.
Frank looked like he had a blast too.

Caratunk Girl said...

Sounds like so much fun! I get freaked out on lakes too. Cool fireworks!

Terri said...

It looks like you made the most of the weather - and I love the idea of winter fireworks!

Lisa said...

Sounds like a great time! I've never been on a snowmobile, but my sis just sent me a picture of my 3 year old nephew on a little kid snowmobile with a helmet on! It's the cutest thing. Like you, I get a little nervous about shady looking toilets. I do not want one over flowing!! The fireworks look amazing! What a fun thing for the winter!

Pam @ herbieontherun.com said...

Frankie looks like he's missing a leg in that photo. haha 41 lbs! He's getting to be a big boy! :) Harley was 23 lbs when we got him at 7 months old, and the vet expected him to stay small due to malnourishment at a young age before he was rescued. Psht! He's 58 lbs now and SOLID MUSCLE.

Megan said...

OMG I went snowmobiling for the first time in December in Park City, Utah! It was a BLAST!! You have a really pretty dog!

Black Knight said...

Never been on a snowmobile but I am a proud sailor: only boats and ships. It sounds like a great time into all that snow.
Beautiful pictures.
Sorry for coming back to businness!

fancy nancy said...

That looks like so much fun!!! I'm hoping winter has given us its final send off today and we will start seeing spring soon!

Suzy said...

I've never been up where you go...but in my hometown we make roads on the lakes and drive cars out there. As long as the ice is thick it is safe. Have you ever been skimming on snowmobiles? That is weird and scary!

Michelle said...

Looks like a great trip - I've always wanted to try snowmobiles!

Laura said...

Sounds like a great time...though the frozen lake does freak me out a bit...

Runners Fuel said...

Looks like a great time!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

I never been on a snow mobile, I am missing out on life

Carly said...

I wouldn't trust the ice either. Makes me nervous! Hope being back to real life isn't too rough!

Anonymous said...

Looks fun! Beautiful photos.

Penny said...

It looks like you had a good break. I'm the same way when it comes to going on lakes in the winter petrified. Fireworks look like a lot of fun.

Liz Mays said...

That sounds like one of the best trips. I have never been snowmobiling. I can't believe it!

Pam @ herbieontherun.com said...

The movie quote is from Step Brothers. So funny!

Christi said...

That looks like a great weekend!