Monday, February 21, 2011

learning to trust myself

The past few weeks I've been in relaxed running mode.  I'm still putting in miles, but I'm not following a training plan for anything, yet.  I'm having fun doing strength work, or whatever I feel like doing that day.  But this mode is coming to a close very soon.  My first race of the year is coming up on March 5, a Shamrock Run four miler.  This is a fun one, but the course can be challenging, there is a half mile hill that leads to the finish line, the kind of hill where you feel like you're running in place and not getting anywhere.  I made it to two of the training runs, and both times I felt comfortable with the hill, and the course in general, so I'm not worried about it.  But like most runners, I do want to beat my time from last year. 

I've been thinking of my goals for this year, and I decided on a new one: to stop being scared of pushing myself, and to really test my abilities.  I know I hold myself back, because in the past when I've pushed, I've gotten injured.  I'm feeling stonger now, so today I decided to test myself.  The kids are home on winter break, and while they were playing in their rooms, I snuck down to the basement for a quick run on the treadmill.  I keep it on an incline of .5 to mimick outdoor running, so I hopped on, and got moving.  I ran three miles in 26:10, and I was happy with that. 

That just shows I have it in me.  I can do it.

Now I just have to remember that.

30 comments:

Caratunk Girl said...

Like the new goal, I think I might adopt it myself if you don't mind. Keep rocking Molly!

Julie @ HotlegsRunner said...

Yes you can! Oh my ever since I saw that movie, when I utter those word (you can do it!), I say it like he does! Hahaha!

Runners Fuel said...

You can do it!

Andrew Opala said...

26:10!!!! I'll have to start classifying your blog in my group called "the untouchables". :)

Don't wait for me to catch up, but think about that slow poke wannabe behind you!

misszippy said...

And you can! Way to go with the "test" run. I hope you blow your last year's time away.

Teamarcia said...

Of course you have it in you. I'm glad you know that! Now if only I knew it about me! : )

Jen said...

Yes, you can! And we will help to remind you that you CAN and WILL do it.

Lisa said...

I LOVE your new goal! I've been talking myself into the same one. You can totally do it!

Carly said...

So true! I think we all need to remember this!

Brittney said...

Haha, I love that Rob Schneider line :) You CAN do it girl, go get it!

Unknown said...

Go rock it Molly! Embrace the pain and push through it. That is how we get better, that is how we grow!

ajh said...

You can so do it! You go!

kristen said...

Girl that's only a few seconds slower than my 5k PR. And you were on a treadmill in your basement! No excuses now!!!!

Lisa said...

I say kick ass and take no prisoners - rock the run!!!!!

Penny said...

Yes, You can do it. You can do anything you set your mind to. You are going to Rock.

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

GO GET IT!! I love love just running to be in shape, but having a Goal to reach for, that is pretty great too..

Oh the chocolate on the run was FAN... wait for it... tastic!!!

Amy said...

Nice job on the speedy miles! I think you're on your way to a PR at that race!!

J said...

Pushing the body to the limit can be so tough - its hard to know exactly how far you can push without getting injured! Nice job on the treadmill miles!

Tortuga_Runner said...

I love your optimism. You are going to totally rock your 4 mile race!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

I love this post, great goal too

Johann said...

Nice one Molly! It is so easy to become comfortable and just stay in the groove, well done!

Jill said...

Just always remember the saying on your sticker!! :)

Emz said...

you. freaking. can. do. it.

Memphis said...

I have no problem pushing myself. I can run right on the ragged edge and puke as I cross the finish line, but I don't mind saying, this takes something out of the fun of running for me. I hurt my foot jumping rope while barefoot about 2 years ago now. I was able to run a 5K with the hurt foot, but I shouldn't have. I wasn't fast, slower than your 26 that you mentioned, and I aggravated the injury to my foot in the process. I haven't raced since. I need to get back into it.

Rad Runner said...

SI SE PWEDE'!

Jen Feeny said...

Girl you've definitely got it in you!!! Keep at it!

Name: Holly Bowne said...

I do the same thing: let fear of re-injury stop me from doing things I used to do. I hate that!

I didn't even realize I was doing it until I was working with a physical therapist and she made me aware of all the ways I was avoiding using my right knee (I'd randomly hurt it). I've been focusing consciously on using it normally. Good for you pushing past your fear!

Iron Mike said...

What a funny picture.
Everybody holds back. But you know the course, and you've got the confidence. You can beat your time. Go for it.

Annie said...

Great goal! And awesome time on the treadmill! You will totally beat that time in the race.

Felice Devine said...

GREAT, worthwhile goal!!