Wednesday, February 9, 2011

What I'm Eating Wednesday

I'm all about leftovers. I don't mind making a big meal on Sunday, then having whats left for lunch during the week.  I'm also a creature of habit, usually when it comes to breakfast. 

I went through a cereal phase, an oatmeal phase, a yogurt phase, and a smoothie phase.  Now I'm back to oatmeal, and the smoothie is now an afternoon snack.  I used to eat that flavored oatmeal that comes in individual packets, but now I'm trying to be mindful of my sugar intake, since it's pretty much in everything, so now I make my own, on the stove top. 

This is my latest favorite brand:




I cook it so it comes out sort of al dente, and I mix in cinnamon, slivered almonds, and dried cherries.  It's a tasty combo:






I love soups and stews in the winter.  Back in my days of working in an office, I ate canned soup for the convenience of it.  But so many of them are loaded with sodium, so I'd rather make my own, and control what goes into it.

Sunday we had a stew made with veggies and venison, which is really lean.  I can only eat venison if it's in chili or stew.  I love peas in stew, the trick is to add them at the end of cooking so they don't get mushy.




Is it lunchtime yet?

23 comments:

KovasP said...

I'm looking for an alternative to oatmeal for breakfast and want to do just whole, non-processed foods, it's a toughie.

Big Daddy Diesel said...

I am in the smoothie phase

Johann said...

I've never been able to eat oatmeal. I think I had some bad childhood experience but I can't remember anything. The smell while cooking already sends me out the door.

Andrew Opala said...

can you send me that stew recipe ... please ... andrew [at] andrewopala [dot] ca

Unknown said...

I am hardcore in the cereal phase.

Runners Fuel said...

All looks good!

kristen said...

I'm right there with you on all this. I love eating stone cut oats (Bob's red mill). So good. If you like the irish oats you would probably like those. I'm sure you've already had them. Also love stews and soups throughout the whole winter. Especially when Chris is gone. Unbeliavbly hard to cook for one so I end up eating it all week for lunch.

Allie @ The Constant Pursuit said...

I'm in a HUGE oatmeal phase, and I've never been a fan of oatmeal until about two weeks ago! It's really strange, but a healthy habit to have I suppose. :)

Anonymous said...

I love oatmeal. Your right about the soup being to high in sodium. I feel like I must drink 32 ounces of water after a bowl of soup. Venison is the way to go if you want to eat red meat without all the fat. I would like the stew recipe too!

Jill said...

I eat Oatmeal or Special K Protein Plus for breakfast every. single. day! With a banana :).

Heather said...

I make my own oatmeal too. I've been eating the steel cut oats with chopped apples and cinnamon or old fashion oats with blueberries, almonds and almond milk...the dried cherries, almonds and cinnamon combo sounds good, I'm gonna try it!

misszippy said...

Love, love, love oatmeal! Perfect in the winter. And that stew!

J said...

I am totally in an oatmeal phase right now! And I could totally go for some stew! I haven't made any this year!

Unknown said...

The stew looks so Yummy!! Im a shake girl with Greek Yogurt, frozen mangos, strawberries, bananas and some Whey Protein!! LOVE IT

Teamarcia said...

I'm still a hopeless 'oatmeal only in cookies' girl.
Love soups and stews though and I make a ton of homemade soup...too bad I'm the only one around here who eats it.

Anonymous said...

your oatmeal looks yum!

Lisa said...

Girl -that stew looks DELISH!

LB said...

im in a perpetual cereal phase, could eat it every meal of the day!

ajh said...

This is making me hungry!

Tortuga_Runner said...

It all looks super delicious! I am also a big oatmeal girl, check out my recent post where I crumbled See's chocolate covered almonds into mine. Not exactly healthy, but such a treat.

Kovas: if you are getting the feed, try quinoa or couscous cooked in water/fruit juice instead of broth and add nuts and fresh or dried fruit the same way you would with oatmeal. Amaranth is also a good substitute.

Terri said...

I love oatmeal! Especially on a cold day. Which is all we've had lately! :(

Unknown said...

:) You read my mind... well, kind of! Thanks for the suggestion!

Susan Fobes said...

That oatmeal does look good-I'll have to look for it the next time I'm in the store :)