Thursday, February 24, 2011

what I'm eating....Thursday?

How is it Thursday already?  I had all sorts of plans for this winter break week, but wouldn't you know it, sickness invaded..... AGAIN.   I've had a bit of a cold all month, nothing terrible, but I caught something from a friend of mine over the weekend, and yesterday it hit me like a ton of bricks.  I spent the day on the couch, I got up only to feed the kids (by calling for a pizza) or to let the dog out.  L&E were really good about keeping themselves occupied, because Mom's don't usually get to take a sick day.  E did crack me up at one point, when she asked me if I was sick because I had a baby in my belly.  No E, there is NO chance of that. : )

I'm a million times better now, so I figured I would do my What I'm Eating Wednesday post today, about my favorite rice.

We'll eat rice along with stir fry, or in burritos, but mostly as a side dish.  Brown rice kind of bores me, so we keep these two varieties on hand, one is called Black Japonica and the other is a Jubilee mix.  These are great because they cook perfectly, and you can taste each different kind of grain, I had never even heard of mahogany rice before I tried these.  I cook it with a mix of chicken stock and water, and usually add cooked onions and mushrooms to the mix.  But the other night I had a box of frozen chopped spinach, so I defrosted it, drained out the water, and mixed it in with the finished rice.  I was surprised at how well the spinach worked:




Looks good, no? 

So tell me, how do you make grains? Are you a straight up rice person or do you experiment with things like quinoa?  I'm always up for something new, so I'd love to hear it.

14 comments:

giraffy said...

I love love love quinoa. I make it a billion different ways, and it's always magical, and even better the next day after it's hung out and marinated for a bit :D.

My favorite is a toubleh style - parsley, bell pepper, cucumber, green onions, in a lemon/grapeseed oil dressing. Or, bell pepper, green onion, black beans, and avocado in olive oil and lime. YUMtastic.

Big Daddy Diesel said...

I love rice and spinach, never thought of cooking them together, thanks for the idea

What is #fitblog that you and Jason were tweeting about the other day?

Unknown said...

Yum... that rice and spinach looks great! We eat rice a lot, or cous cous occasionally, but I'm always looking for new varieties and recipes.

Christi said...

Wow, that looks really yummy! I will have to try that real soon.

ajh said...

Sorry you were sick. It hit me yesterday and I am still down and out. Didn't know I could sleep as much as I have.

Hannah said...

I love quinoa! But that spinach and rice looks great!

I feel like my family has been in a perpetual state of sick recently. Come on, spring!

Heather said...

I tried quinoa for the first time a couple of weeks ago and really liked it. I've never heard of mahogany rice, it looks good with the spinach.

Teamarcia said...

Blech sorry about being sick. The rice looks yummy! I'm loving making all kinds of rice, quinoa and mixed grains right now. My fave is cooking a brown rice blend in coconut milk,

Tortuga_Runner said...

Feel better soon!

justme said...

i have been trying to make quinoa and enjoy it. i made one meal that i liked but then 2 others that i didn't. so i have stayed away BUT i recently got a recipe and bought some quinoa to try it. one thing i find is that it is filling....

Anonymous said...

I never tried quinoa, but after reading an article in Runner's World I've been wanting to try it. We usually have white or brown rice. Have you ever tried Barley? It's very good and easy to cook. Barley soup is great when you have the sniffles!

Ayesha Monique said...

That looks pretty good. That could help me eat spinach lol

Lisa said...

YUM! Save me some, I'll be right over for dinner! SMILE!!!!!!

The Green Girl said...

That looks delicious!