Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't

This is one of those times where I'm getting close to the edge of that slippery slope where running is taking a backseat to other things in my life.

I actually don't mind, which isn't a good thing. 

I'm dreading Weigh In Wednesday tomorrow.  Anyone want to skip it this week??  Just kidding. Well, maybe not.


This is a busy time of year for me. It's always busy, but for some reason in the spring, there are extra things to take care of, with the kids, with Mike, with the house. A male friend said to me recently, "I just don't get what you DO all day." Instead of dumping my glass of wine over his head, I said, "What DON'T I do all day?"

Take Friday for example:

I'm up when Mike gets ready for work.  I wake up Luke, while Mike puts on one of the clean work shirts that I always have hanging in the closet for him.

I take the dog outside, before even having coffee.

Eliza comes downstairs. I help the kids get ready for school, make breakfast, Luke's lunch (actually, Friday was pizza day, so he bought).  Luke gets on the bus, I take Eliza to school.  I feed the dog and the fish.

Normally I would get online for a while, and either do some laundry, clean the kitchen, vacuum, go for a run, or take the dog for a long walk, or shower. Or pay bills, or make a grocery list, or a To Do list, then do it. If Eliza is home we play, or go to the library, or the park, or bouncy house.  But Friday was our neighborhood garage sale, so I hauled everything onto the driveway, and tried to get rid of as much stuff as possible.

Time to pick up Eliza, started bringing things inside that I didn't want stolen, when my neighbor drove by and offered to pick E up. Yes, thank you!

Mike said he would be home around 12:30 to help with the sale.  He got home at 1:45.

I walked the dog.

Sold some more, then I went inside, took a shower. Went to the grocery store to buy food for Luke's birthday party and for our dinner (salmon burgers with avocado, salsa, and lettuce, with a side of roasted cauliflower).

Came home to see some of the neighborhood kids playing with L&E in the yard.  Sent them home, made the kids dinner, while making my famous red potato salad, and a birthday cake.  While cleaning the kitchen.

Walked the dog.  Fed the dog.

Got the kids into the shower, ready for bed. Settled them down with a TV show and snack. 

Opened a bottle of wine.  Looked for cake decoration ideas online.

Put the kids to bed after their whole bedtime routine.

Finished decorating cake. Had dinner with Mike. He made the burgers, I made the cauliflower.

Remembered that we had to wrap birthday presents.  Mike wrapped.

Went to bed at 11:30, got up the next day and started all over again.

You can see I didn't get any physical activity in, but I was pretty tired by the end of the day.  Luckily I got to go for a bike ride AND a run on Mother's Day, but today I don't feel like doing anything. 

I haven't had a motivation slump in a while, but I've got to snap to it.

Someone give me a kick in the pants.

Please.

27 comments:

Big Daddy Diesel said...

We get busy, we understand, I have said this a million times, ag'ers are the heart and soul our our sports, not only do we train for events, we have to deal with life, like you just posted, purely amazing the work load we handle.

Quickest motivation pick me up, sign up for a race.

Teamarcia said...

Ok if you insist, here's a kick in the pants. But I totally get it. And it's the toughest time of year IMO with everything going on. It's hard to keep our own interests on any burner at all least of all the front one. Hang in there.

Lisa said...

Dang girl - I'm exhausted reading the list of tasks. Big breath . . . hope you can get some "you" time in there soon. That's a crazy busy schedule!!!!! So . . . which cake decoration idea "took the cake" (get it, ha! I'm a comedian today! NOT! sorry :(

A Prelude To... said...

It is absolutely amazing how busy life can be!! The whole kids in sports things throws everything off for me. I think I'm busy enough without practices and games. I'm totally looking forward to summer and NO sports!

When I sit down and think of all the stuff I need to get done, I just get really overwhelmed.

I mean....just taking the dog for a daily walk takes 45 minutes...AND she needs to be brushed and bathed...those last two are just not happening :-)

I'll keep the clothes clean...but not put away.

I'll make sure there is food in the fridge, but I'm not cooking.

I'm really about doing the bare minimum right now. Can you tell?

KovasP said...

Somehow, as the end of the school year nears, things just start to get crazy!

Evolving Through Running said...

All I can say it that your male friend has some real stones to say something like that to you. I'm guessing his wife has never gone out-of-town on a weekday. I'm barely breathing at the end of the day trying desperately to cover everything she does. Hope the craziness levels out a little for you and lets you get your run on.

Jill@Run for the Hills said...

I totally understand where you're coming from right now. I only have one child, but I suppose the 6 animals may make up some of the difference.
It's exhausting. I have no time left for myself. I'm getting burned out.
I have no energy to kick you.
Here's hoping it gets easier.

Christi said...

Damn, that was a busy day. I am tired just thinking about it!

You are doing fabulous and the kick in the pants will come. Summer will bring the motivation you need!

*~*~* Tracy said...

I totally get it! And I'm very impressed by your self control for not pouring your glass over your friend's head..though I don't think I would have wasted wine on him. :D

Jill said...

This is the toughest time of you year, if someone schedules one more event in May I may have to poke their eyes out! Deep breaths girl...and fingers crossed for a postive weigh-in tomorrow!! :)

Amy said...

Sounds like it's time to sign up for another race! That's always the best motivation to me. Also, finding a new run route can help. Or maybe you t need a break. That's ok too. Hang in there.

giraffy said...

man... I totally feel you. First, I'm exhausted just reading your list of things :D. Second, i'm really unmotivated too. Bleh. Bleh!

Hope your weigh in tomorrow is fab, and you kick that slump right in the face :D

Shawn said...

Yea...sounds like life to me...wait, isn't that song lyric! Seriously...it is busy at my house too....but major race in 19 days so like BDD said, it's my motivation these days.

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail said...

KICK delivered ha! You had a race last weekend you can get some recoup time right??

Walking Frank is active and wine has flavanoids which are healthy. You're good Molly!

BabyWeightMyFatAss said...

I spent a monday or friday recently checking in to all the places I go to on a monday/friday morning. Most of the people I know where like how do yo do that? umm I just do?

Mrs. M said...

You are super busy! I don't know WHAT I would do if anyone dared ask me that question about my day. Get some rest and then maybe you will be ready to rock and roll and run again. :)

H Love said...

KICK....right butt cheek!!! Feel it? Snap out of it!

HUGS!

Laima said...

Spring is super busy for us also - looking forward to summer vacation!

misszippy said...

I just posted on this last week--May kind of sucks! It's just such a busy time for moms. Do make the time for yourself--can the dog run with you? Maybe he's too young. Anyhow, I hope you get your break and your workouts asap!

Unknown said...

I know what you mean. I have been out of work for a week now and want to go back!!! Its like I do everything around here but nothing seems finished!! UGH!

Raquelita said...

Now that the university term is over here and I'm done with my marathon spree of grading final exams and papers, I finally feel like I can take a deep breath. But I am exhausted. I completely empathize with being busy, and sometimes on tiring days something has to give.

J said...

Busy Busy mama! I don't know how you do it all!

RunToTheFinish said...

i think all of us go through ups and downs with our workouts. you have been at it pretty hard, so maybe it's just a natural cycle. But if you'd like a kick in the pants, I'm happy to oblige

ajh said...

This is just a little bump. You are super busy! Life happens.

Liz Mays said...

Nobody can do it exactly like they want to all the time.

*kick*

Erika said...

Get on it!! I'm kidding! Ever since I've been off work, I feel like I've been super busy!!! Like, how the heck did I have time to work??

Johann said...

Busy, busy, busy! That’s why I do my running early morning. Even though I have to get up at 3:30 during peak training some times. If I don’t I won’t train at all as the days get busy. You maybe need a serious goal to train for. Anyway, I have lots of respect for you and your daily routine.