Friday, March 16, 2012

Do you trust in yourself? Or trust in your plan?

See this?






It's milk dyed green for Miss E's St. Patty's Day party at school. It had just rolled onto the floor from the passenger seat, luckily it just got dented, not spilled. Otherwise I'd be facing a room of twenty angry 5 year old's.


Yes, I love this time of year.  We're spending Saturday at the parade with friends, followed by corned beef and cabbage at their house.  While we're there I plan on swiping my friend Bill's set of P90X DVD's.  My half marathon is exactly a month away, and I thought I would throw in a bit of cross training  torture exercise, and get my core straightened out once and for all.

Something has come over me these past few months regarding my training, mainly that I'm not worried about it. It gets to a point where you know what your body can do, and you embrace it, and trust in it. I'm sort of winging my training for this upcoming race, I know what I need to do to get ready, but I'm not following a specific plan to a T.  This is the first time I've done that, and I feel okay about it.

At the same time though, it's a bit scary, because what if I do screw up race day, and have a lousy race, or come away from it feeling like I could do better?

I run several times a week, on my last 9 miler I did it without water or extra fuel, the only times I stopped was because my running buddies had to toss a jacket, or dig out a gel.  But I felt great the whole time.

Has running become second hand?

Or I should say, second foot?

Where do you find trust? In yourself? or your training? Both??



Happy St. Patty's Day!!!!

15 comments:

fancy nancy said...

I agree. If I'm racing a half or less I find that I can just know if I''m ready. It's those higher distances that I really stick to the training schedule. Love the milk...at first I thought it was the world's largest Green Monster!

Nicki said...

Definitely both. As a friend told me when I started racing, "trust the training; respect the distance."

What half are you running?

bobbi said...

Um, yes? I trust in my plan. A lot. But I trust in myself too, in that I know when I need to step back from the plan and breathe for a minute. But the running, it is getting so much better!

Good luck on your half!!

Lisa said...

I trust the plan (WAY more than I trust myself-I can come up with 4000 excuses why not to run or why to slow down . . . the plan continues to be in black and white and unyielding :)

Green milk for a class of 5 year olds - cool!!!

I only suggest that you be careful and be smart with your training . . . not sure a 9 miler with no water is smart, but you know your body and you are good at listening to it. Don't overdo it with P90X. You'll be great at your upcoming races - I just know it!!!!

Runners Fuel said...

I have to figure out some time to train for a 10 mile race on the 1st. Saturday, I'm making a lot of st. patty's day goodies!

ajh said...

For longer races I like a plan as I am lazy and would never do speed work or anything without it.

I am finding for the tri I don't like the plans I am seeing and may just do my own thing. "Run for 15 minutes" seems like not worth the effort to put my shoes on. I am finding the ones I see too easy. Believe me I expect to be last but still want to train well.

misszippy said...

It's a great approach. I find I do my best when I am flexible with my training to a point. Then my body gives me the signals. In the end, I trust in both myself and the training. I think you are reaching a point of experience that is allowing you to let go a bit and trust. Enjoy that!

J said...

I remember my mom used to put food coloring in the milk when I was little! So cute! Have fun tomorrow! I am making corned beef and cabbage too! Cannot wait!

Black Knight said...

9 miler without water or extra fuel is a signal that you are in very good shape. Trust yourself and run as faster as you can.

Anonymous said...

I think that can be a good thing. It shows you've listened to your body in the past and know what it's capabilities and limitations are.

Michelle said...

For me it's a little bit of both - I trust in my plan, but am learning more and more to listen to my body and give it the extra rest it needs.

Love that green milk :)

Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog said...

Yay for green milk! I have found that I have learned to trust my body for half marathon and shorter distances but now that I am tackling a marathon I am having to work harder!

Unknown said...

Corned beef and cabbage....[drooling]...favorite meal. LOVE IT!

As for the question...

I trust my training plan. I have to have it as my crutch, so come race day I can say, "I did all the training, I am ready." But running is such a mental sport that you just do what you need to in order to convince yourself your ready. For me, it's that confidence in the plan. (And that the plan keeps me dedicated)

Caratunk Girl said...

I am writing a blog post right now about something similar. I say trust in yourself. I look at training plans as more "suggestions" rather than steadfast rules.

The green milk is pretty funny!

Fruit Fly said...

Interesting question! Just in this last week I started realizing that I don't need to stress and be so hard on myself. Clearly I CAN run and I don't have catastrophic events happen every time I race, so why am I always stressing? Once that hit me I started having A LOT more fun and just enjoying it!

Now - about that green beer, er milk ... not sure I'd have the guts to try it even though I'm sure it tastes just the same!