Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Vega One....a review.

Back in January, I did a review of Vega Sport, a line of 100% plant based goodies used to prepare for, sustain, and recover from your workouts. I'm still dreaming about their chocolate coconut energy bar......

Vega recently reformulated their Whole Food Health Optimizer to Vega One. They took the feedback they received from their fans to create a new formulation, with more antioxidants, probiotics and Omega-3’s per scoop, and an improved taste and consistency.





As with their other products, Vega One is plant based, and is sugar, dairy, gluten and soy free.  But it does have lots of good stuff, one scoop is equal to 3 servings of greens, and it contains 15 grams of protein, 6 grams of fiber, and 50% of your daily intake of vitamins and minerals.

I was sent four flavors to sample, Berry, Chocolate, Vanilla Chi, and Natural.






First up was the Vanilla Chi, I mixed it with water in a shaker (they suggest water, juice, or non-dairy beverage), I prefer to add protein powders to my smoothies, but I thought I would give the shaker a try. It did mix up pretty well, but I wasn't a huge fan of the taste, mainly because I don't usually choose Chi flavored beverages.

I tried the rest of the flavors in smoothies, the Berry was a bit sweet.  It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that my favorite flavor was chocolate. I tossed it in the blender with some almond milk, a frozen banana, and about a tablespoon of peanut butter.  YUM. Eliza shared it with me, we drank it so fast I forgot to take a photo.......I even tried licking the inside of the blender, it was so good.

The natural flavor was a close second, all the protein powders I buy are flavored, so this was a nice change.  I could really taste the strawberries and bananas that I added to the mix, again with almond milk.

Frank really wanted some.





I eat my fruits and veggies, but with all the running around I do, I like the smoothie option for getting what my body needs on a daily basis.  And this fits the bill



You don't have to be a vegan to like Vega One, just look like one.







*Photo courtesy of 7 year old Luke.




*Note: I was sent a sample of Vega One for the purpose of this review, the views on the product are my own.



8 comments:

A Prelude To... said...

awww...Frank is adorable!

Pam @ herbieontherun.com said...

Look at that handsome Frank. :) He's such a big boy now!

I just ordered two tubs (It was BOGO!) of the protein powder from Vega Sport based on your and others' reviews of them recently. So, Vega, if you're reading, blogger reviews really do pay! lol And I'll be glad to get free stuff and review it, too, if you're looking...haha

Heidi @BananaBuzzbomb said...

Love, love, love Vega One!! =)

Lisa said...

Nice photo Luke!!!!

I like smoothies too! I will have to give this powder a try!

H Love said...

Nice shot! I am a shake virgin...I really need to get on this!

Johann said...

I haven't seen Vega in SA but there are some similar products. Frank stole the show once more!

Black Knight said...

If Frank likes Vegas it means that it is a very good product!

Teamarcia said...

Ha Frank! I made the mistake of drinking the natural one with no add-ins...um not my favorite. But overall I loved the others!