Sunday, September 30, 2012

Not A Short Sale, Just A Short Leg.

It's funny how when you meet someone and learn that they are a runner, how easily the conversations flows, as if you're old friends.  This happened to me twice yesterday on the soccer field.  Luke and Eliza both had games along with team photos, which meant we were there first at 7:45 a.m., then again at 1:30.  Aside from the first week, their games have been at completely opposite times.

For Eliza's game, I ended up sitting next to her Assistant Coach.  There is a man who runs around my neighborhood wearing a Survivor buff, and I had a feeling it was him.  Which he confirmed, then told me it was given to him by a rep from a running shoe company, and he wears it all the time because it keeps all the sweat out of his eyes.  We ended up talking about All Things Running (including my trip to the Chiropractor, which I'll get to in a minute) for the whole game, while cheering on the kiddo's.

Later that day at Luke's game, I realized after the game started that he needed his water bottle, so I headed over to the side of the field.  His coach noticed my NYC Marathon shirt, and in about 30 seconds, he found out which races I've run, that my heel was acting up, and I learned that he is an Ultra Runner.

Speaking of my heel, it's feeling 85% better, and I am keeping my fingers crossed that I can run soon.  Mike belongs to a local business organization, and one of the members is a Chiropractor, and apparently, a really good one, as he treats the athletes up at the University.  When Mike told him about my latest foot issues, and how my podiatrist recommended a  cortisone shot and a night splint, he winced, and said that I had to get in to see him, and that he would get me fixed up.

I've never been to a chiropractor, and I was curious, so I went on Friday. I told him about my running, and my history of injuries on my left side.  He examined me, and lo and behold, determined that my right leg is significantly shorter than my left, and that my pelvis is completely out of alignment.

Talk about an A HA! moment!

Of course I went home and googled this info, and it looks like I could be the poster girl for Short Leg Syndrome because I experience all of the following:

  1. Knee pain in both the short and long legs.
  2. Sciatica, or inflammation of the nerves in the leg and lower back.
  3. Poor balance when walking and running (I now have an excuse for 40 years of bumps, bruises and falls.  For more details, see this post).
  4. Foot and ankle pain. 

To top it all off, to compensate for a shorter leg, you pronate. And we already know that I'm a stellar over-pronator.

The Chiropractor did some electronic stimulation on my lower back and foot, than did some adjustments to help even me out.  He then explained the science behind why stretching and night splints don't help the body heal (it turns out that a stretched muscle means cells are stretched out, and away from the area that needs to be healed).  I'm going back tomorrow, but I can't tell you how happy I am to have a concrete reason as to why I have been dealing with injury for my past 16 years of running.  I really feel like I'll be back out there sooner than later.

Can I get a Whoop Whoop?!?!!?!!!!

11 comments:

Pam @ herbieontherun.com said...

Whoop whoop!!! Guess who else has one leg shorter than the other. YUP. ME! I had foot pain and went to the podiatrist. He looked at me for about a millisecond and said, "Have you ever been to a chiropractor?" My hips were lopsided, too. The x-ray showed it so perfectly clear and SO PRONOUNCED! I couldn't believe I'd never noticed it before myself. Hope he's got you on the fast track to recovery now!

Cherie said...

Glad you found help for your injury. What chiropractor are you seeing? I've been trying to find a good chiropractor in the Syracuse area because I suspect I have some pelvic alignment issues.

ajh said...

Great news. I really feel my chiropractor has helped me with a couple of injuries.

BabyWeightMyFatAss said...

It makes a lot of sense. I had a PT ask me if I had one leg shorter than the other (right) and all of my issues are with my left side. My chiro said I didn't but I haven't felt right in a long time so it might be time for another chiro! Thanks for the push!

Teamarcia said...

Whoop! Whoop! Chiros are the bomb. I swear by mine. Glad you had a breakthrough. Speedy healing!

Suz and Allan said...

Whoop whoop! Glad your heal is better!

Jill said...

I'm so happy to hear you didn't get a cortisone shot; that's juts a big ole Bandaid and you have to correct what's causing the problem, otherwise it will come back. Learned that the hard way with my 2-year heel fiasco. Glad you found someone who is able to fix the problem; he sounds like he knows his stuff (night splints, shots, stretching - all bad things!). YAY for you!!

bobbi said...

2 years ago, I started having a lot of weird knee pain. I went to a kenisiotherapist and guess what he told me? Yup, one leg shorter than the other because my hips were all out of alignment. He fixed me up, and I've been great ever since. Glad you are getting some answers!

Michelle said...

Whoop whoop! Glad you found a chiro and are getting some answers!

Laura said...

Woooohooooo! Awesome news - hope it continues and continues.

J said...

That is great news you found out what is really wrong. I know that my hips get a little misaligned because of all my running and the road camber. Sometimes I can really see that my left hip is lower than my right. Hopefully you are back running soon!